Sunday, December 25, 2011

"Healthy" Holidays

For those of us recovering from eating disorders, and, certainly, for those who've yet to start, holidays are like sweets-spitting dragons to be battled back, if not finally slain. It's primarily the Big Two that give us trouble - Thanksgiving and Christmas, or another holiday around the same time of year. In late November, tables shakily support the rewards of our self-congratulatory thanks, and, throughout much of December, they groan, Samson-like, beneath the weight of good cheer. These are occasions celebrated less with food than with FOOOOOD. The "overeater" and undereater alike struggle, but struggle in different ways.

It's a shame, really. Holidays tend to be built around the idea of friendship, family, and community. And friends, family, and communities like to eat. Food and drink are very basic, shareable resources (though, unfortunately, not always shared), and, sometimes, food and drink alone are enough to put people in a room together. My parents, still freshly divorced, now interact only on special occasions, and, while it's not just because of the food, the food helps. Their first real, extended post-divorcealyptic meeting came while visiting their anorexic son (that's me) at an eating disorder center. It was oddly fun.

On Thanksgiving, I didn't do so well. I went, along with the rest of the family, to my sister's; but I ate only a slight piece of the nutty coffee cake I purchased at the last minute, and I counted that as a supplement toward my meal plan. But I also took home some turkey (one of my "safe" foods), and, using it and other items, I ultimately met my meal plan for the day. Yet, it was and is clear that, despite my greater health, I still struggle. Not just with the food itself, but with the time of day at which I consume it and the amount of control I have over it.

Which brings me to Christmas. As I write this, it's 8:06 a.m. on December 25, and I am due at my sister's at 1:00 for Christmas lunch. On the advice of caring support professionals, I asked my mother to make her Christmas candies this year, something she hasn't done for the last couple. I can remember, years ago, looking forward to pies, cakes, rolls, macaroni and cheese, my mother's excellent sausage balls, her knee-weakening fudge, and her "buckeyes" - those chocolate-covered peanut-butter balls resembling the nuts of the buckeye tree.

Part of the bargain is that I have to eat them. And I shall. With relish. And I'll eat other things, too. 1:00 is a time I can work with, and I'm sure that the fare will include something safe enough for me to consume without Catholic guilt. I may not eat sausage balls, but I'll eat enough to substantially contribute to my meal plan for the day and to perhaps make me feel a bit normal this Christmas.

So, "healthy" holidays to all. To all, a good bite.

4 comments:

  1. Your health is a great present to all of us who love you. Enjoy the holiday and the company. Everything else is just the icing on the Buckeyes.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you that the holidays are an especially difficult time for people with eating disorders. When I had bulimia, I would dread going to my family's house for christmas because it just brought my eating disorder right in my face. I have finally gotten help and have put bulimia behind me. One thing that really helped me was the coping advice I got from http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-edb. Now holidays are an enjoyable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Justin! This is Kim from your Hvl ED group. I have been thinking of you recently. I was a little sad to see Dec. 25th was your last post. I would love to know how things have been the last 4 months. I left the group right after you came home so I need an update. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim! Sorry I've waited so long to respond, but I've been busy with work and things (like procrastination). After I got back from Birmingham, things eventually picked back up from where they left off, and I'm back in the swing them, as they say. Which may not be the best thing, considering how things were swinging before my Birmingham "vacation." Nevertheless, I'm actually doing well with recovery, and I appreciate your thinking of me. We miss you very much in group, but we understand your leaving. I consider leaving each time I drive from work to group on Tuesdays - for a lot of different reasons, schedule being a big one. That's also one reason I haven't blogged since December. Plus, I wonder how interesting it might be now that I'm considerably re-fed. Not that I'm "out of the woods," by any means. Maybe I need to pick it back up again...blogging, that is. I kind of miss it. (I'm still waiting for DreamWorks to call about the movie option.:)

      I really hope you're doing well, Kim, and would love to hear how you have been since leaving group. I'd also love to be able to share that with the group. Feel free to email me if you want: j.m.rutledge@knology.net. It would be a treat to hear from you.

      Delete