Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Saturday Evening Almost Post

I planned to post something yesterday. It had been a couple of days since the last dispatch, plus my mother was asking about the www.silence. I have a lot to talk about in general, but little to suggest where to start. So, yesterday I began to write about Jungian sand tray therapy, which is a little bizarre, sometimes off-putting (I broke down during one follow-on group interpretation...big, embarrassing tears), but kind of neat, too. I could have also written about how I became an unpaid (paying, with insurance help) music therapist. Or, I might have just written a little about the program's schedule, which even now I'm a bit sketchy on. Another topic fresh in mind was Thursday's attempt to down a milkshake without any ra-ra-ra group support (finished around 3/4 of a pretty large cup). These are all things I may eventually discuss.

But, I posted nothing.

Instead, I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon and evening searching the web for an answer to one of those grand, cosmic, philosophical, humanity-in-the-balance types of questions:

What kind of milk does Starbucks use as a standard in its Frappuccinos?

My daily meal plan includes four supplements, which can be any combination of Ensure Plus/Boost Plus (or generics), Cliff-type bars, and "fun" foods, as the nutritionist calls them. Fun foods include cookies, muffins, cake, pie, ice cream, milkshakes, etc. The supplements provide "energy" in addition to what I get from the balanced meal plan. The plan is more structured and manageable than "Eat, Eat, Eat! Gain, Gain, Gain!" But, I'm quite aware of the broader goal and its fight song. (I'm actually sipping an Ensure Plus as I write this - Supplement #2 for the day.)

Yesterday, I decided to have a Caramel Frappuccino (not a Caramel-Lite) at Starbucks, but not before going to their website and looking at the nutritional info. I would count it as one of my supplements for the day, but I wanted to ensure (no pun) that it was within the caloric range of the other supplements I've been consuming (nevermind any caffeine cancellations). The website confirmed that it was, and I assumed that, since the milk selection defaulted to 2%, 2% milk must be the Starbucks standard if you don't request something else. I couldn't remember what milk we used when I worked in a Starbucks-affiliated Barnes and Noble Cafe years ago. But it didn't matter, since the Starbucks website defaulted to 2%. Right?

If only I could have stopped there. I actually did stop long enough to order and drink a Caramel Frappuccino, which automatically came with whipped cream drizzled with caramel sauce (not considered earlier). I drank the entire drink except for what whipped cream/caramel sauce I could keep from mingling with the base below. Afterwards, I went back to the Starbucks website (they love repeat visitors) to see what whipped cream/caramel sauce might do to a man's supplement. Turns out - quite a lot, but, even so, I was still only 40-50 calories ("energy") over what I would have gotten from an Ensure Plus. By no means an End-of-Times issue, even for a recovering anorexic. Yet, I began to question whether 2% milk is the Starbucks standard. There were, after all, other choices  in the drop-down menu on the website, and I remembered seeing loud ads encouraging Frappuccino "customization." So, I nosed around the site a bit to see if it mentioned a standard type of milk. I had no luck finding a definitive answer, even after several site searches and a close-reading of the drink FAQs.

What to do? Google, naturally. I spent a lot of time with this, only to turn up some statements confirming 2% milk and others declaring whole to be the standard Frappuccino ingredient. I won't list my specific sources, most of which I don't even remember, but they included several forums, question-answering websites, press releases, news articles, etc. Why didn't I just call the local Starbucks? (Seriously, if you know, please get in touch.)

Suffice it to say that I did not get a chance to do anything worth really doing in Birmingham last night. Suffice it further to say that I haven't done much worth doing over the last 5, 6, 7 years. I lose count. This makes me a bit sad.

But, treatment is changing this, just at a pace that makes it hard to tell. As with the condition itself, it might be futile for me to attempt explanation, so  I won't. I'm getting better - believe it or don't.

How did you spend your Saturday night? Doing something worthwhile, I hope. Do tell. I want gritty details, people.

6 comments:

  1. You are doing excellent! You know the commercial where the waitress asks the girl if she wants oil or cream on her pie? You got cream on your frapp! That's the only thing to worry about. Got to get out of your head! That being said, I prefer oil(Cool Whip).

    Missed seeing you this weekend. Sunday was full of freaks. You would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Sunday night. So, add 1 to the freak total.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i believe it. "it" being that you are getting better. i'm glad you are writing. i think it is part of the process. sometimes "it"'s hard to read, so i can only imagine how hard "it" is to write (and experience).

    curious though: are you "banned" from going to company's websites, the same that you are banned from exercise. seems like a trigger. if you aren't, then, i am officially banning you. besides, melody thinks that if you are going to leave her home alone on a saturday night, then you should do something more worthwhile than trying to confirm a standard 2%. (we haven't seen one another or spoken in months, a much longer span than usual, but i'm sure you remember my affinity for suggesting to others what they should and shouldn't do).

    as for me. i played Alabama Rummy with my grandmother, mom, and Jon. not too many gritty details to divulge. have you checked to see if there's any decent live music to head out to listen to? sounds better than The Google for a saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed you this weekend! Sorry to be busy. I'll be sure to give Mel some extra loving and I'm looking forward to visiting with you this coming weekend. Oh! Wanna be my date for a wedding Saturday night...? I'm going alone otherwise (Clint'll have nothing of it - and we have another wedding Friday night!)... Absolutely no pressure - thought I'd throw it out there :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @oc - The exercise "ban" is actually more of a strong "recommendation." Since we're only in-session 8:30-4:00ish on weekdays, there's a lot of unsupervised time to ignore recommendations. Which I don't recommend but sometimes do. Searching the web for "nutritional" information is definitely a trigger I'm trying to overcome. And, of course, they don't recommend calorie-counting (we use diabetic exchange system for meal plans - still some counting but not as tedious and good/bad judgmental). AL Rummy would have been much more fun. I've been meaning to go to a few live shows in B'ham, but have been tied up (or have tied myself up) with other things. That will be a goal for me over the next week or so - get out, about, have fun enjoying music, food and drink. Maybe I'll even dance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Quetzalisa - Don't worry about being busy over the weekend. I was a bit too. Could you give me a little more info on the wedding? Either here or in an email. Whose wedding (probably doesn't matter)? Attire? Will my tuxedo screen-print T-shirt work? Tell Mel that when I get back to the hotel room, I often glance back to see if she's following me around. I'm so used to her. I miss her. She's in good hands, though. Thanks for all you've done.

    ReplyDelete