Monday, August 29, 2011

Lift the Heart: It's Yoga Monday!

I just got back into Birmingham a little while ago after spending the weekend at home in Huntsville, and I'm a bit tired from the drive. I was probably tired before the drive (embarked really early), but the drive turned out to be unhelpful. I actually ran over something on the interstate - a box?...a forgotten item of furniture?...a magical gnome on his way home after a night of gnome partying? The morning darkness concealed whatever it was until too late. The right front side of the car looks okay, but there was noise enough for concern. (None of this has anything to do with my post-drive fatigue. I just thought it interesting.)

Given that I'm tired, I look forward to yoga today. But then, I look forward to yoga on all yoga days. We practice yoga (therapy) Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and it always seems to give me peace and energy. (Even though the nutritionist refers to calories in any form as "energy," she unfortunately doesn't consider yoga "energy" to be a legitimate meal plan item. But, if I added sour cream...) Our yogi, guru, mystic, or whatever you prefer primarily teaches and practices the Ashtanga yogic form, which is a higher intensity style than some of the other, more popular forms. (For a slideshow of poses, go here: http://www.ashtangayogi.com/complete-asana-slideshow/index.html. Ashtanga, like most physical activities, is something best begun with the guidance of an experienced teacher. Not something you want to try at home alone first. And if you're wearing what the guy in the slideshow is wearing, maybe not something you want to do with the blinds open.)

So, that's it for now. Yay for yoga! Later today, I hope to "process" and write about some things that occurred or that I thought about towards the end of last week here and over the weekend at home. Until then (or even later, depending on how persistent my goal-getting is today): Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment